Kindergartners. They look like little people, but they are wired a bit different. A lot different. I am finding it more challenging learning how these miniature people work than any other grade level. They are very busy, have lots of energy, are easily entertained, and are very, very literal.
My first couple of days went like this: "Okay class, sit on your squad dot and I'm going to call your names. Raise your hand and let me know if you're here." Immediately, 24 hands shot up in the air and 24 voices were raised in competition to let me know they were indeed there. "Wait, wait, wait," I said, "when I say your name you can raise your hand. Just one at a time."
"Faith."
Faith raised her hand, and 24 voices said "She's here!" Wow. Thanks guys.
I've stopped taking roll out loud. When I do, it goes more like this. "If I call a name, I only want to hear the voice of the person whose name I call. I should only hear one voice. Nobody else should speak. It should be quiet except for the person whose name I call." Was I specific enough?
"Faith."
Faith says here and I only hear two other voices besides her's. We're getting better.
The other thing I've learned with kindergartners is, you don't ask them if they have any questions because they all do, and most or their questions A) don't have anything to do with the activity or your directions, and B) are really comments and stories. A comment out of one student, leads to comments out of 15 other students that may or may not have anything to do with the original comment.
Kindergartners are a breed of their own. I'm not sure I will ever really understand them, but I've got about six more months to figure this batch out before we start all over with a new group. :)
I can tell they are going to give you lots to write about :-)
ReplyDeleteJakob starts Kg next year so I can relate to some of this, especially the questions, I mean the comments!