They kill me, the kindergartners. They just don't operate like the other kids. They're still learning how to "do" school at this point, and I'm still learning how they operate. The little guys love to hear themselves. They come stomping into the gym because they like seeing how loud they can make their steps. We only have them for fifteen minutes, so I want to make the most of my time with them. I noticed one of the kindergarten teachers dealt with the loud feet in her class by telling them they sounded like elephants and she wanted them to sound like kittens. Immediately, they softened their footsteps to mimic the light steps of cats.
That day, when I lead my second kindergarten class into the gym, I decided to mimic her instructions. Only I forgot she had said "kitten" and I said rabbit instead. They're quiet, right? Almost immediately, I had 24 kindergartners hopping like rabbits in a single-file line behind me. "Hmmmm," I thought, "that's not quite right. Kittens! Walk nice and quiet like kittens." I turned and continued leading them to the front of the gym, but checking on their status behind me, I found that one after another, the entire line was dropping to all fours, mewing and walking like 'kittens.'
Oops.
Evidently, their teacher hadn't used the same kitten analogy with them. I laughed. I couldn't help myself. And I couldn't bring myself to correct them. Next on the agenda, teach kindergartners how to walk quietly on two feet like kittens.
No comments:
Post a Comment