Saturday, January 7, 2012

Welcome to the third grade crazies

This week I started a basketball unit in my PE classes.  As you can imagine, some gradelevels are advancing much quicker than others.  In my third grade class, we played a passing game called Birdie in a Cage.  It's basically keep away but in a circle with one person in the middle.  I made a couple of  passes illegal and told the students if they performed an illegal pass they were automatically the birdie in the middle.  One cognitively smart but socially not, little girl asked, "If we are the birdie can we make chirping sounds like this: tweet, tweet *insert whistling here*?" 
I told her if she was the birdie she could make whatever sounds she wanted to.  Then we proceeded to play the game in small groups.
As I wandered around the gym checking on groups, I found her laying face down in the middle of her circle.  "What's the matter?"  I asked.  The students told me she committed an illegal pass and was now the birdie.  She didn't think it was fair that she was the birdie because she didn't realize said pass wasn't allowed.  "Well," I told her, " everyone is going to get a chance to be the birdie.  Now it's your turn.  Just do the best you can, and try to steal the ball."
She stood up and got a defensive look on her face, "I am NOT that kind of kid!  I DO NOT steal!  My parents taught me not to steal.  Stealing is wrong, and I won't do it."

"Uh.  Okay," I said, a little baffled.  "Just try to get the ball."  That word choice didn't help the situation.  It was already too late.  She was done.  So she sat out the game and upheld her family's standard of not stealing. 

On her way out the door at the end of PE, she handed me a peace offering.  "Here," she said shoving something at me.  "You can have this, I got it yesterday at the YMCA." 

Great.  It was a piece of trash, a shiny foil like piece of trash. 

"Wow, thanks."

I drew a sigh of relief when she was out the door and on to her next mission under somebody else's supervision. 

1 comment:

  1. Your elementary level stories are hilarious. Who knew what you were missing! Thanks for updating :)

    ReplyDelete