I lied today.
This week has been kind of a disaster. The week before a big holiday seems to go that way at school, so it wasn't totally unexpected.
Things came to a climax after school today, the last day of work before an oh so sweet two week vacation. I had a meeting with some parents. I've been nervous about it since Wednesday when it was scheduled. I didn't really know how it was going to go down. In the past, conversations with this student's mom have been amiable despite her students poor performance in my class. After writing three consecutive disciplinary referrals for the student, I wasn't sure I'd get off so easy.
My favorite superhero c0-worker was at my side and a newly hired administrator was there for back-up. Unexpectedly, both parents came for the conversation. Even more unexpectedly, they weren't there to point fingers, yell out their frustration, or to enter into name calling, "PE Nazi" anyone?...Yeah, that's been my favorite parent provided label so far.
These parents were very concerned, loving, and pro-active. I was almost shocked. I have had a very difficult time with their student this semester. I concluded something about the home life must be out of order, but I was wrong.
We discussed the behavior and performance of their child. They were so apologetic and frustrated. That's when I lied. I told them I liked their student and wanted to see her/him successful because he/she is so smart and so capable. I wanted to mean what I was saying...for their sake. Truth is, I don't like this student. I try, but the student makes it so stinking difficult. There is the cussing, attitude, disrespect, not following rules, refusing to participate, cutting class, and on and on. Smart, capable, those things were true. Like him/her? Not really. But I'm going to try. For their sake of the parents and for the sake of my lying-butt self, I'm going to try.
And that concludes another episode of True Confessions with your host, Bobbi St. Clair. Tune in next time for "Honey, I shaved the cat by accident."
No comments:
Post a Comment