Last weekend Ross shot down a Christmas tree...actually he cut it down, but he was threatening to shoot it. Then we had a kick off to the Christmas season party. We ate ourselves silly again.
This weekend we went to a Christmas play and a Christmas concert, then went to Shae and Ryan's for some more...you guessed it, eating. Plus we got a little baking in this weekend, and of course we were obligated to taste test and re-test each of the candies and cookies. I think I may have to run double tomorrow.
Here and there we work a little too. It's way overrated though, so I try to avoid it as much as possible. My students are on the verge of chaos, and I am wondering each day if I can make it through without ringing the necks of about half of them. I am determined not to ever have kids. (Sorry Ross.) I've seen what they become at about 14-years-old, and it's not pretty. I'm sorry Mom and Dad for that period of my life. I'm not sure what I did, but I'm certain it was an ugly time.
Some of my students could use your prayers too, by the way. (And not just the ones who I want to turn over my knee.) We have a handful who have lost parents, guardians, and siblings this fall. I know the holidays are not going to be easy.
That's the other crappy part about teaching. Reality. So many of our kids have it hard. Really hard. It's impossible to ignore when they're staring you in the face. Rape, abuse, foster care, parents in prison, students working to help pay the bills, parents lost to deportation, students just out of jail themselves, and the list goes on. It seems like nearly every student we have, has a story like this.
Yeah, now I'm depressed too.
On a more positive note, I get to hang out with my boy the "Q" tomorrow. I know you're jealous. I'll leave you with a picture I stole.
I sure hope you don't have double runs tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteDefinitely a tough time for many so I'll be thinking and praying for those students whose homelife is like a reality show but worse because there are no "retakes" to make it more dramatic for the audience. Being in the ministry you see a lot of that all year round, not just the holidays but it definitely is intensified during this time. That's the wonderful thing about being a Christian, you can let your light shine through kindness and the Lord will open the door to share hope.
ReplyDeletePS Hope you didn't end up with the double runs, too!