We ran the mile in PE today. Today and yesterday actually, except for one class. We were dodging rainstorms, and one class lucked out. I love watching students run the mile. For some of them, it's a cake walk, for others it an insurmountable (sadly enough) challenge. It's the ones that are really working for it, that I like to watch. They get so pumped up and excited when they're done, especially if they've improved. Some of them do really well. I don't know why "the mile" seems like such a daunting task to these guys, something about being on the track makes them feel like it's a really long way to go. The truth is, most of them run that far for our warm-ups in the gym each day. Maybe it's the timed component that gets them. I used to always be nervous for our PE mile and a half in middle school. These guys have to run under 12 minutes to pass. It's kind of dumfounding how many can't do one mile in that amount of time. I tell them my mom can run 26 without stopping at 8min/mile. They don't believe me, but it's true. Some of them can do it, they just choose not to. They don't want to sweat or be uncomfortable. I wonder how many people really aren't capable of passing. You should try it, and if you don't pass, you should consider talking to a doctor about possible health risks. This has been a public service announcement from the emergency broadcast network...no, not really.
Signing off and stepping down from the soap box...again.
I hate running for one obvious reason, well actually two, the girls don't like it. Enough said... ;-)
ReplyDelete