For four years my high school has been named persistently dangerous. I don't know all the details that qualify us for this label. I do know it has something to do with the number of students expelled, weapons confiscated, and maybe the number of fights recorded or something along those lines. In addition to a lot of negative publicity, the label has given us a worse-than-it-already-was reputation within the community. Truth be told, I've never felt unsafe at the school, and while I know they happen more often, I've only witnessed three or four fights in my almost three and a half years there. So with this shadow hanging over our school, we were very proud to find that we qualified for a rather large grant because of our persistently dangerous designation. Not only that, but we were the only school in the entire state that qualified because we were so persistent in our persistently dangerous designation. If you're going to do something, do it well. That's what I say. Go big or go home.
With this grant just about in the bag, we weren't sure whether to be excited or disappointed this week when we heard that our school was finally taken off of the persistently dangerous list. If it means we will no longer qualify for a million or more dollars, I know of a couple kids who could help us out.
*This just in: all expelled students to return to McKay.*
You are bad...
ReplyDelete