Thursday, October 1, 2009

It's the little things

It's the little things in life that really rock my world. Why is that, you ask? Or maybe you don't, but rest assured, I'm about to tell you. The little things are like my foundation. They keep me grounded. So it was with great grumbling and gnashing of teeth that I conceded to the fact that one truth I've lived by for so many years was in fact a misunderstanding. You know that little calendar song that helps you remember what months have 31 days and what months have 30 or less in the case of February? "Thirty days past September..." you know, that one. Well, I never learned it. I couldn't quite keep it straight, so I didn't try. I prefered the mountain/valley approach that they also taught you in second grade, where you use your knuckles to count off the 31 day months (mountain - aka first knuckle) starting with January, and the less than 31 day months (valleys - aka between knuckles). Well, somehow along the way, I missed the fact that you had to put two fists together. I thought you should count across one hand and then back again, thus making 31/30 every other month. Then two days ago, my world came to a screeching halt when, for various reasons, I had to double check my knuckle math with a calendar. That's when I discovered the July/August phenomenon. Why? why? why???? do two months in a row have 31 days? What was the stinking point of that? Now I'm all screwed up. All my life I thought that the months rotated in perfect and natural harmony. 31. 30. 31. 30. But noooooooooooo, somebody had to throw in the double 31. Oh dear. I am really having a break down over this. I think I need some mineral water.

1 comment:

  1. I think you may need a double mineral on this one my dear, earth shattering, just earth shattering!! Have one on me, ok?

    ReplyDelete