I took a temporary hiatus from blogging - from computering in general. I needed a break. It was making my brain hurt. Plus, the dog is shedding so I really needed to sweep. And sweep. And sweep. Speaking of the dog, he's been providing me with some good blogging material in the time since I last wrote.
This is my favorite: Youk has one of those big Costco dog beds. Everything at Costco is super-sized you know, and this bed definitely fits that mold. Anyway, the bed sits in the living room during the day, and Youk is happiest when it's as close to Ross' chair as possible. At night Ross puts it in his room, so Youk can sleep next to his bed. Ross decided the other night, that Youk needs to start pulling more of his own weight around here. My vote was for teaching him to scoop his own poop or sweep his own hair. Instead, Ross taught Youk how to fetch his enormous pillow and to pull/push it into the bedroom at night himself. You should see how excited he is to be helpful, and how irked he gets if Ross tries to do it for him. It's pretty funny.
Along with learning how to maneuver his bed through the house, Youk learned a loop-hole in the "bed" command. Usually, he's told "Bed" if we want him to stay on his bed in the back living room. If we're not in there with him, he gets really antsy and whiny. You can't really see into the kitchen or the rest of the house from there, and he likes to be part of whatever is going on. The other day, I put him on his bed and went into the kitchen to do something. I heard some tip toeing on the hardwood floor so I poked my head around the corner to tell him to get back on his bed. He was on it already, but he had pulled it almost all the way up to the entrance of the kitchen. He cocked his head at me as if to say, "What? I'm on my bed." Little sneak.
Okay, last thing. Youk has no sense of space or boundaries around inanimate objects or people. Ross said the other day, "Man, for not trying to be annoying and cumbersome, he sure is." Youk also believes every person and animal he comes in contact with, must love him and want him right up in their face (or butt depending on the situation). *Please see above quote. He got his first real lesson, in "not every dog wants to play" on Sunday. We had just finished a short hike near Detroit Lake and were walking him down to the river to get some water when he decided to introduce himself to a couple of dogs that were there with their owners. The first meeting went well. Youk sniffed her butt, she sniffed his, and they ran around a little. Then he went to check out the other dog that was on a leash with its owner. I guess at that point we should have called him back, but they hadn't said anything so we just kept walking and watching him. All of a sudden their dog lunged and latched on to Youk's ear before he could get away. The owner broke them up and Youk came running back to us. He has about a two inch slice in the underside of his ear. It's gross. They never said a word except for, "I was afraid of that." We shouldn't have let him run up to a leashed dog, but a heads up would have been nice. A "sorry" would have been okay too. Luckily, he's okay. No stitches, no rabies, nothing but a scar and a lesson learned.
No comments:
Post a Comment