Sunday, March 28, 2010

Spring Break

That's right, I'm twenty-seven and still get to enjoy having a spring break. You can bet I look forward to it at least as much as the kids do too. Things didn't go exactly as I had anticipated, but I can't complain. (Over a week off from work - if I ever do complain, you have permission to kick me.)
Wednesday and Thursday before spring break we had parent-teacher conferences after school for three hours, so we got Friday off. That was lucky for me because we had a home track meet at Willamette on Friday. While Ross was fishing with friends, I got up early to head to the track. I got up early partly because I had to be there by 7:30 and partly because I was dog sitting for a friend and she wouldn't stop whining (the dog, not the friend). I didn't get up early enough because after taking care of her and Youk and eating breakfast, and showering, and cleaning up puppy's not altogether solid poop from my carpet, I was late. It was an exciting start to the day and week.
At the track meet, Puppy howled in the girl's locker room while I tried to learn our track timing system. I don't excel under pressure, but it was good to learn a new facet of coaching. The day ended, we headed home, I went for a run, Ross got home and let Puppy out while he unloaded his car, Puppy jumped into his car and peed on his seat then wouldn't come to her name. Ross chased Puppy until he finally cornered her and returned her to her crate. Ross and Puppy did not get off to a good start.
Saturday, I ran 20 miles, which I'm sure sounds like a blast, but it's kind of therapeutic if it doesn't kill you.
Sunday we headed to Rogue River after church to spend some time with the fam. As it turns out, Dad was leaving for the week on Monday and Jesse was house sitting all week. So Sunday we actually headed to Rogue River to spend some time with Mom and some evenings with Jesse. Mom got sick. Youk got tics. Ross got poison oak. And I got a sweet new paring knife to add to our collection. Guess I was the lucky one in that deal. We actually had a really good time. I got to cook, and do some turkey scouting with Ross - translate 'hike around the hills near Gold Hill' and Ross got to use his chain saw. A lot. Hence the poison oak.
We came back to Salem on Thursday, returned the puppy on Friday, ran 20 more miles on Saturday (I promise, it really is nice once you've built up to it), and get to do taxes today before going back to the grind tomorrow. Somewhere in there we also worked on planting some of the garden, experimented with some new bon appetite recipes and hung out with friends.
It may not be the trip to Vegas some of the teachers went on, but it was a good week.

2 comments:

  1. Except for the poop, the pee, the poison oak, and the twenty mile run it sounds like a fun week ;-)

    ReplyDelete