Between being busy and having some serious writer's block, it's been just about for-ev-er since I've posted anything. I've been in Rogue River for just about a week now. I was hoping to help out at the store. Mostly, I've been sitting at the store and spending my money on cute workout clothes. I don't really need new workout clothes. Let me re-phrase that, I don't need new workout clothes. It's just that they're so darn cute, and I've been sitting here surrounded by them for hours. They've been calling my name, shouting it really. I can't be blamed if maybe one or two items jumped off, I mean literally leaped from their hangers and into my arms. At that point I had no choice but to purchase said items. Seriously, what can you do?
Aside from being at the store, I just got back from competing in the longest relay in the United States. The Cascade Lakes relay started at Diamond Lake and ended at Summit High School in Bend. I was on a 12 person team with my mom and some other Grants Pass runners as well as the Kingsley Eagles - members of the Air Guard in Klamath Falls. It was actually their team, we were just fillers. At any rate we raced 216.6 miles, averaged 8min 18sec per mile, and finished third out of 48 teams in our division. Our goal was to finish under 30hrs, and we made it by the skin of our teeth. Our finishing time was 29:59.49. Pretty sweet. Everybody ran three legs and the total mileage per person ranged from 11miles to just over 23miles. If that doesn't sound crazy, factor in the temperature (110 degrees on the pavement), the altitude and elevation changes (9740 feet of elevation loss and 8195 feet of elevation gain), and the lack of sleep (I think I managed about seventy-five minutes).
We finished sunburned, blistered, sore, dehydrated, tired, hungry, sick, and mostly happy. Happy to be done. Haha! No, we were happy to have accomplished our goal, to have met and made some new and pretty cool friends, and happy to still like the sweaty stinky people in our own van after spending so much time together and on so little sleep. That in itself is an accomplishment. Plus we got pretty sweet t-shirts out of the deal, and everybody knows that's really what it's all about. Well, that and the post race feasting (providing your stomach hasn't revolted - sorry Terry).
We're taking a couple of days off, and then it's time to get serious about the Portland marathon. Woot! Woot!
Girl, yew cwazy! But glad you met your goal and had fun, THAT'S what it's all about :-)
ReplyDeleteYou put your right foot in, you put your right foot out, you put your right foot in and you shake it all about....now try not to sing the rest of that... or am I too late? Is that one of those songs that gets stuck in your head all day?
Maybe I'm cwazy? But then I think it probably runs in our family ;-)
Have a hokey pokey night!!