Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Take II

It's never a great idea to blog when it's late, and you're tired. You tend to do stupid things like, for example, writing an entire post with pictures attached, then closing out of it before hitting the publish button. Then you might, in this theoretical situation, throw a minor fit, slam your computer shut, and huff off to bed. Theoretically. I'm not saying that's where I was last night for example, I'm just warning other innocent bloggers about the possibility of the situation.

Anyhow, if I had written a blog last night it would have been something along these lines:
Last week we had an opportunity to leave Salem for a little while. We took full advantage without a moments hesitation or dilly dallying or thinking twice. I mean really, stay in Salem for the day or go anywhere else, is there even a question?
Ross' friend, Brandon, was in town on his way back to WA, and we thought it would be a nice chance to hike around Silver Creek Falls, a state park about 45min from our home. The last time Ross and I were there, I turned a six mile run into a twelve mile run by accident. Oops. This time we paid closer attention to the signs and maps, and I didn't lead. If you hike the right loop, there are about ten waterfalls. We cut it a little short, but we still saw six or seven good ones.

This is Brandon posing at one of the falls. He is a super nice guy. He and Ross talked fish and wildlife and the environment the whole time. Some of it was interesting. I always enjoy listening to different perspectives, but I won't lie, my attention span waned like way way way waned after the first hour or so. At that point we were still in the car on the drive there. ;-p I got a run in while they hiked the first part of the trail, so that rejuvenated me for about another hour. After that, well, they're both really nice guys, but the interesting factor was pretty much lost on me. Luckily, they weren't there for my entertainment, and I could let my mind wander...

This is one of the larger falls. In the spring, it's a little more impressive as there is a whole lot more water, but nonetheless, it's pretty cool.

This is me walking behind the fall. You can do this on a couple of them. It's kind of crazy how much of an overhang there is.

This is a cool picture Ross took from behind the fall of some of the water coming over.

We had a great time. I got some ice cream. And all was right with the world.

2 comments:

  1. Ice cream is such a sedative.... why is that??
    Beautiful pictures! Glad you almost had a great time, but I think you might consider "great" vs nice/good since you got to leave Salem. I'm rambling... sorry.
    Oh, I get it about ice cream, it's a comfort food. duh.... I've got to stay away from that it just turns to blubber on me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is a gorgeous photo Ross took from behind the falls. I'm also partial to the one with the "girl" in it!

    ReplyDelete