Today was one of the warmest days we've had so far this summer - a whopping 89 degrees. Yeah, kind of pathetic for a season high, but we'll take it. Of course I would choose to spend this 89 degree day in the kitchen, working over the stove. Genius. But I had an itch to cook, and these things can't go unsatisfied or they build and grow and morph into ugly beasts. My kitchen just isn't built to deal with ugly beasts.
I thought I'd share a couple of the recipes that are currently causing my stomach to bulge. Mainly because misery loves company. Plus they were delicious and if you make them, you'll thank me. I like to be thanked. Feel free to send your gratitude in chocolate form. Amen.
So recipe numero uno was sent to me by mi hermana. It is so delicious it makes me weep. Or it would make me weep if weeping were in. It's called Caramelized Pork Banh Mi If you click on it, the link has the recipe and picture. I didn't make the pickled veggies; I just used a carrot cucumber relish and fresh avocado. We grilled corn, and I made Creamy Cilantro-Lime Slaw from Bon Apetit. I'd use less sour cream than it calls for, but it's good if you like that kind of thing. For dessert: Lemon-Basil ice cream from Tasty Kitchen and a blueberry cornmeal cobbler from Smitten Kitchen. I tweaked it a bit (hers had peaches), but it's still purdy. Yep, I think I did my cooking for the summer. Now my house is overheated and my stomach is overfull and I can't blame anyone but myself.
Happy cooking,
Peace Out.
Oh my goodness and I thought I was doing great throwing frozen chicken breasts in the frying pan with some nonstick and covering with the lid and cooking for 25 minutes.
ReplyDeleteOk, each of those recipes serves 6-8, it's no wonder your tummy is overfull!! But that carmelized pork made my mouth water. I tried something this weekend at Applebees (don't laugh) that was so yummy and reminds me of the sauce that this recipe uses. But it was chicken instead of pork and it was won-ton skins instead of bread and you add the coleslaw to it like a taco instead of on the side. MMMMMmmmmm good. I'm going to figure out the recipe (sweet 'n spicy delicious!)
PS I thought you'd prefer to be paid in ice cream... of course that would be rather difficult to mail.
wow, you know we are willing to travel for good food. I have the itch too but am trying to wait until after a certain bridal shower, and then after the 20-person BBQ, and then after the wedding appetizers and salads are done. Three weeks to go...I'm already out of bread and baked goods over here.
ReplyDeleteI know they serve a lot more than two, but since I eat for four and Ross can hold his own, it works out just about right.
ReplyDelete