Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Here comes the soapbox

So there I was, sitting on the couch, minding my P's and Q's (what are P's and Q's anyway?), when I became slightly engrossed in the PBS special on TV.  Why on earth was I watching PBS to begin with?  The fact is, A) Ross was in control of the remote (go figure), B) we only have three and a half channels to begin with, and C) it was half time during the basketball playoff game.  I digress.  Anyway, there I was watching this mildly fascinating documentary on ant excretion, when a thought occurred to me.  Thoughts come few and far between these days, so you have to celebrate them when they present themselves.  

Consider that these little, fairly insignificant fire ants have an innate ability to communicate complex messages to one another by excreting specific combinations of chemicals.  I mean, that's pretty impressive.  They leak this chemical and  it leads their buddies to a food source.  They leak another chemical and it signals that Great "Ant" Esther just died.  Realizing that God paid so much attention to detail in creating even these tiny little insects, I can only imagine how much more He put into creating us.  That's pretty stinkin' cool and worth giving a little thought.     
I also like that He didn't just stop with attention to the details of his complex plant and animal systems.  He got hog-wild creative with His creation just so we couldn't second guess what He was up to.  I mean platypuses?  Seriously, what are they? 

Here's another good one:

Can you tell me He wasn't laughing just a little when He put this one together?  
The diversity and quantity of creation in itself is impressive.  It makes it easy to believe in God as the ultimate Creator, and rather difficult to believe any of creation was an accident.  It's too complex, too perfect.  
Here's a few more of my favorites:  

Yep, you're strange.  

Nice quills, Mister.


You're a what?  

4 comments:

  1. Great "Ant" Esther... I am in hysterics! FYI: P's & Q's is a British expression about Pints & Quarts as in a pub, the bartender would keep an eye on their consumption.
    FYI: Guys always have the remote...it's just a fact but we have more channels than 3 and it drives me up the wall, well actually it drives me out of the room!

    Ok...I like your thoughts... no I LOVE your thoughts! We are fearfully and wonderfully made and our Creator did a great, no an awesome job and He has a great sense of humor and even though He says He laughs (in Psalm 2 and Psalm 37 ) I wouldn't want to be the brunt of that joke.
    Just think about that giraffe, too. Incredible.
    FYI: (still trying to get all my words in... back from Darby's graduation.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this post! I like how it made me think about how much God must have been laughing when he made you too!

    *Oooooohhhh.... BURN!*

    But on a serious note, when I teach human sexuality and I am showing the students how a baby develops in the span of 40 (long or short weeks - depending on who you are) it is so hard not to talk to them about God. How do you teach people about the existence of human life without bringing HIM up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way... that wombat is adorable. I had the cutest book in the library about a wombat and it was an alliteration story with "w's" think of how Elmer Fudd would read a story. Weally, weally cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw you on Ree's site and thought you might be interested in this.

    Come on over and enter to win huge prizes!! Seriously, there are over 25 prize packages and the prizes are awesome!!

    Although I am still happily accepting (and pushily begging) for donated prizes for my fundraiser, I decided to get the ball rolling.

    http://www.firstgiving.com/hallietwomey

    PLEASE click on the link and enter to win. And forward it to as many people as you possibly can.

    I am DETERMINED to raise a tremendous amount of money in my Dad's honor.

    And by donating, people have a chance (or many chances!) to win some fantastic prizes!!

    So it's a win-win situation for everyone!!

    Thanks so much!!

    Hallie

    ReplyDelete